Over in the memory thread, I saw my second mention that "top posting being a bad thing." What is top posting? Is that when you reply to the first post in a massive thread?

If so, yes, this seems like a bad thing, but only with the new version of the BBS software while viewing in threaded mode. The old software threaded view seemed to keep posts in order by date. So, when someone replied to the first message in a thread, it would show their reply at the bottom of the thread, but their post title would have zero indent.

The new software threaded view, though, seems to put the most recent reply immediately below the post being replied to. So, on a multi-page thread where people have been replying to the bottom of the thread each time, the threaded view shows a constantly increasing indent in post titles along with dates increasing down the page. But, when someone replies to the first message in the thread, the new post is inserted between the first post and it's original first reply. Multiple replies to the first post (and the threads that branch off) just get messy.

I have always preferred replying to the first message in a post when my reply is more "on topic" than current point in the thread, which may have kinda wandered away. Or, if I'm bringing up a different point that's on the same topic. Notably, in the "Buttons - " threads in Projects, I replied to my original post when I had an new update. This would look good on the old BBS software threaded mode, but it just looks crazy on the new BBS software.

So......... is this "top posting" and is this why it's bad? And if so, was it bad while we were using the old BBS software? Just checking so I avoid using whatever it is that's bad.