Okay I admit it I have spiraled into insanity. I sold my Empeg and went off to the local Store to get the New Alpine with the Ipod interface, then in a brief monument of clarity I looked at the interface, and after my horror wore off all I could think of was “its no empeg” So I have narrowed it down to 4 chooses.

It would be so much easier if the big stereo companies would just allow playback of mp3’s burned onto a DVD disk none of them offer this nor do they plan to offer it (I have e-mail tech supported and confirmed this fact) so I am limited to a crappy CDR/RW with mp3s, CDR/RW with mp3 changer none really have a search function and the Keg is not much better.
Looking for some unbiased opinions. All options have pros and cons (see below)

All I wanted was the ability to listen to high quality sound have a nice color touch screen and the ability to carry my MP3’s with me in one unit.
I have even considered mounting an Empeg and a Pioneer or Alpine head unit to get the best of both worlds but I would need to remold my dash to do it, all the ac/heater controls would need to be lowered down into the pocket and custom plates made (nearly 500 bucks worth of work) and it would be nice to have something with a warrantee again.

I am scaling way back now that I am getting older just 1 sub, 1 amp and 2 pairs of components. Going to use the following

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 399.00 or Diamond Audio S600’s
Diamond Audio M6 10" Subwoofer Dual 2 ohm 300
Alpine MRV-F450 5 50 watts RMS x 4 + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

Empeg 500
EQ 200
Mounting 200
Pros: Best interface in the known universe
Cons: No Sub out would need to use an external processor, no Nav, DVD playback and replacement parts getting harder to find Product had been EOL’ed no longer officially supported.

CarPc
Screen 300
CPU 500
ITP and PS 200
Mounting 200

Pros: Most flexible, could add email, DVD, Nav, gps and a host of other things
Cons: Most complex, lower quality audio section. Expensive to custom mount the screen.

Pioneer AVIC-N1
Will add an Ipod interface when it comes out second quarter 2005
Pros: built in DVD, NAV, GPS, Touch screen and MP3 Play back
Cons: MP3 playback from CDR only, Higher cost

Alpine IVA-D901
With Crappy Ipod Interface
Pros: built in DVD, NAV, GPS, Touch screen and MP3 Play back
Cons: MP3 playback from CDR only, higher cost, crappy Ipod interface
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/