I can't get the applet window to do anything. What else must be installed for this to function?

If you can see the applet window working (in other words, you can see the display of your empeg running in your web browser), but clicking the buttons doesn't work, then you're only missing the special kernel.

The kernel is a modification (based on the open-source kernel code) of the empeg kernel with Frank's IR hack applied. This is the component that allows you to click the buttons on the applet window and have them sent to the empeg. This is not required for the other parts of displayserver to function, but it's necessary if you want to click on the applet and have the empeg respond.

That kernel can be obtained at Frank's page along with everything else. To insert that kernel into the empeg's flash memory, use my logo editor program which has a kernel utility. Make sure to unzip Frank's kernel before uploading it.

For my money, just having the four buttons in displayserver isn't that exciting to me for day-to-day usage. I'm looking forward to the day when Frank's applet includes a clickable picture of the remote control, too...

Hey, Empeg guys, what are the odds of you including that IR hack as part of the original "default" kernel in the future?