Quote:
Putting aside the rather different point I was trying to make, I've been to several "smoke free" places including California, NY, Dublin and others.

Sorry if I missed that. I guess I would still ask if the Cals, New Yoks and Dublins wind up being unhappier, less interesting places....

Quote:
Incidentally, this viewpoint represents a 180 degree change of opinion for me. Until a few years ago I was an outspoken critic of smoking, smokers and smokey places. Since then I've found, as contradictory as it may sound, that many of my friends who smoke are also the people that are most fully living their lives. Perhaps they are more aware of their own mortality. It's a little tragic really.

Interesting. I've had a pretty low proportion in my recent workplaces (*very* low now -- maybe 4-5 of 150), but I have never seen a correlation. I can think of people who fit that "mold", but can just as easily of folks living pretty large without tobacco.

To your point, though: would we rather have the Hemingway who ultimately blew his brains out over self-induced infirmity and depression or a Hemingway that ate right and went to bed every night by 9:30?

edit: Ach, part of my response to your (and Webroach's) point was to say that I noticed this week that England looks to be foloowing Scotland on this....

Edited by jimhogan (17/11/2004 01:56)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.