Well, that's the cool thing about what I've been able to do with the AMX/Panja boxes for the IR conversion.

One touch of the remote can trigger several IR events. Even to skip forward and backward through playlists. The AMX boxes keep track of the last playlist command issued, so it knows which command to execute for the next or previous playlist.

The empeg player always brings up the playlists in alphabetical order at the top of the list. In order to get to a specific playlist, you need to enter the proper commands via the Kenwood remote, which could be something like *, A, Dir. OK, >>|, >>| .

We are keeping track of which playlist we are playing outside the empeg player (since the player doesn't even keep track of this state information). Actually, we're only keeping track of which playlist command was last executed. The only way we would get out of sync is if the user actually uses the controls on the player.

I've gone to great lengths to make navigation without a display quite easy. There is no way to get lost in a weird menu, because we only offer a few basic features. Play/pause, FF/RW, next and previous playlist.

Is this a lot of work? YUP! Am I anxious for the next firmware release so I can dump these weird work-arounds? YES!!!