There's a wealth of information at AVS Forums about both the TiVo and ReplayTV units. I'm a big Replay TV guy, all the way back to the Model 2004 (28 hours) to today where I have 4 modified 5000 units (larger hard drives installed).

You'll love this new way of watching TV whenever you like. There's lot of good features on both brands that you can use to pause live TV, time-shift, skip ahead, back, etc.

One thing to note on the ReplayTV series....

The 5xxx series are the most desirable right now, because they have the automatic commercial skip and Internet Show Sharing features. Those features were removed when ReplayTV was sued recently and the latest models (the 55xx series) do not have these features.

So you'll see on eBay that the 5504 is cheaper than the 5040 (both 40 hour units) because the 5504 doesn't have the commercial skip and show sharing features. They're still great machines...

With commercial skip, you can watch a 60 minute show in about 40 minutes. You can still skip manually if you have a non-commercial skip machine. And you can watch a 3 hour football game in about 70-80 minutes by using the Replay 30 second skip button right after the ball goes out of play to skip ahead to the next play.

Once you get one, you'll never look back. You'll probably want one on every tv....

Let me know if you have any questions and I can help. I'm more familiar with Replay than Tivo, but I think Tony can help with the Tivo questions....

Randy