Quote:
I'm wondering about the possibility of just choosing a small set of commands that the player otherwise ignores (say, the vowels), and having hijack remap these serial commands in the same way it does ir_translate -- that would also allow me to macro-ize them.

I had a thought today, while driving around (well... sitting, mostly -- LA traffic plus holiday season ). If hijack can listen to the IR port, and steal codes to remap them without sending the old codes on, then it should be possible to have hijack listen to the regular serial port, steal codes, remap them to (non-player legal) IR commands, and then just call the ir_translate function. Two benefits to this: the player itself never sees stuff on serial, possibly leaving it available for other communications tasks (like GPS), and the hijack ir_translate code is already in place, so it would mean I wouldn't have to fully duplicate the ir_translate functionality for the serial port (i.e. wouldn't have to deal with actually writing to the serial port, just listening to it).

I don't yet know enough about hijack to know if this is a good idea, but it seems reasonable.