Yeah, I think that's the way I'm leaning towards. There's two ways to look at it:

1- The 754 chips are a whole $50 cheaper for the same CPU speed
2- The 939 chips are only $50 more for better features

What you've said echoes what I've been reading today. Apparently the socket 939 chips run cooler, require less power, has double the memory bandwidth, and will probably be replaceable in a year.

*edit*
The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm not really upgrading my current machine. I'm replacing it. I went a little overboard with my last PC case (Lian-Li PC75), and it really isn't suitable for a desktop PC. It was a reaction to the cramped, horribly designed Dell case I had in early college. Now I know better, and I'm looking at a cramped, extremely well designed Shuttle case. I love the design and the size, and it would be nice to take it over to a friend's house if I needed to work on something there (we sometimes do video projects together, and it sucks working at one person's place at a time.

I'm looking at the SN95G5. So all I'd need is that, a cheap video card, a stick or two of RAM, and I'd be set. I've already got the DVD burner. I've totalled it up, and it comes to about $600. $800 if I want a new hard drive (which I might that new Maxtor is sweet).

Edited by Dignan17 (27/12/2004 18:33)