Quote:
Although I thought the DEC3000 had a compatable module.

Afraid not. It's got a CI slot to plug in a CAM but NDS won't release one which supports VideoGuard. The only way you can get Sky Digital is to buy a digibox and use that.

I've looked into it before because it'd be great to make a MythTV box that could record Sky Digital without an analog conversion step and the transcoding. There is sort of work around. Some of the Sky+ boxes allow you to mod them to have a SDI output which you can then plug into your PC via the appropriate card. You still have the transcoding issue but you don't have the analogue conversion step anymore.

You can decode any FTA channel which doesn't use VideoGuard however. Most of the free ones use VideoGuard still so you won't be able to watch them. Stick with the Freeview card IMO. Top Up TV apparently works with the Freeview cards.

I would have Freeview here but I don't actually have a TV antenna! Got all the wiring in the walls, just no aerial on the roof. Bought the house new and it didn't come with one and I've got Sky Digital so never bothered.