Consider this:

The cost in hospital care for crash victims is huge - it dwarfs Derek Kieler's quoted $25M on an advertising campaign by orders of magnitude. This bill is often paid by the government that's paying the hospital bills. So it makes a lot of sense for them to lobby for more advertising and legislation to enforce a thing which will save them hundreds of millions of dollars a year. And also consider that each place in an intensive care ward that's taken by someone who's been badly mauled after not wearing a seatbelt may be taking the place of someone who has something less in their power to prevent (and therefore, in some ways, more deserving of the care).

That's a lot of good reason to enforce seatbelt wearing.

It's when these chromosome-deficient people decide that they deserve the same treatment as everyone else in that hospital ward, even though they contributed to their own injuries, that I really start looking for a clocktower and a high-powered rifle - metaphorically speaking.

Have fun,

Paul

P.S. It occurs to me that the last paragraph is a good example of why the US is so hated by a lot of people - because it doesn't consider that the results of its own actions should affect other people's (and countries's) behaviour toward it.