Quote:

Firstly, I'm not sure I'd with agree that riot is better than rioplay/xplrionet. I haven't looked at your xpl enhancements, but I have the utmost respect for Dave Flowerday's skills

Hi Paul,
I heavily modifed rioplay, to work more like riot does, it's these enhancements that aren't much good. I totally agree rioplay is excellent.

Quote:
As I'm sure you know, the riot code does very little screen handling itsself - it just sends key presses to the tRio server and displays screen images that are sent back to it. The screen images themselves are created by the java code running on the tRio server which allows it to do all that fancy font and image stuff (and also makes it very much easier to enhance/maintain).

This is the approach i took with the mods to rioplay for xplrionet. It became a dum client, with most processing done in xplrionet. With regards screen handling the method youre using is the same as we are using for the hauppuage MVP screens.

Quote:
Are you intending to generate the screen images in the xpl server? (If not, I'm not sure that riot will be of all that much use to you.)

Yes, we'd generate the screens on the server side. The MVP screens are much meatier to produce (e.g. adding colour pictures etc) so it should be able to handle it fine.

Quote:
You are most welcome to borrow whatever you want from tRio/riot - especially as it borrowed so much from RioPlay. I tried to update the riot code in CVS this morning, but the sourceforge site was down. I'll try again this evening and let you know when it's done.

Many thanks Paul, i really appreciate that. The main thing for me to understand is how the command protocol works between riot and trio. I can already control it with ir/front panel (seeing the display on an xpl OSD TV display via tivo rather than the front panel as i havent worked that out yet) and have managed to stream to it - though it's a bit hit and miss at the moment (xplrionet that is, not riot).

I'm really impressed with how solidly it streams. Obviously the about screens and stuff will reflect it's driven by riot.

Quote:
I think the idea of home automation is really cool and toyed with the idea of implementing the xpl interfaces in tRio a while back. But I found myself lacking in both time and expertise (work, that curse of the drinking classes!).

it's fun. But all my spare time is spent on xplrionet at the moment, so don't get anytime to play with other ha stuff.

Many thanks
Tony