Oh yeah. Grub.. bleeding bootloaders can be so troublesome at times!

But yes, try rearranging the arrangement of SCSI adapter cards within PCI slots (if possible, more likely you've got some mainboard interfaces in this mess).

Actually, I'm not sure that Grub would be a big issue -- it needs a physical partition anyway, and uses BIOS drive numbering. So if Grub even loads from the "first" BIOS disk (0x80), then it should be able to find its own files on hd(0,*) without much issue -- just ensure that the kernel and initrd files are all under /boot on a physical partition with /boot/grub/* -- this is the default for most distros.

The root=xxx kernel parameter in grub.conf (or lilo.conf) can be anything, including a volume device path, or a LABEL=/ designation.

I had something similar go screwy on my WinXPpro install -- MS decided my flashcard reader slots each represented a disk drive, and lettered them all before the real drive. So my files are all now installed on drive "I:", but some of the default prompts when installing s/w still ask for "C:" and have to be fixed by hand each time.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (11/01/2005 12:11)