I'm going back through my CD collection and reripping my music to MP3 again. I have decided this will probably be the easiest way I can ensure everything is VBR, properly tagged, add lyrics and album art.

One decision I am having a hard time making is file names. What is a good filename scheme to allow easy browsing of the collection by file directly? What does everyone else use with their collections?

Ideally I'd like some sort of Samba VFS plugin and a database holding all the tag info. That way I could retag things easially, and the raw files would just be similar to the FID naming scheme the empeg uses. If I make a tagging change in the db, some tagger could go through and correct things easially Samba VFS would take care of making a nice folder layout based on the database or tags. Sadly I can't find much in the way of any Samba VFS projects doing anything remotly similar to this.

My old method was 8.3 formatted, so not much info was conveyed looking at the names. No real folder structure existed either beyond a single folder for the album. I then threw 650 MB worth of my collection on a CD. This time, space will just be used up on my server, with RAID-5 and tape protecting it.