The board is set up to use either the Murata ENC-03MA/B or ENC-03JA/B gyros (300 deg/s) or the Tokin equivalent (90 deg/s). I am also investigating using some new epson ones, and a three axis rather pricey one I can't so far get much data on.

I also have the option of the SSS solid state ring gyro, which has much lower drift rates and less noise, but they are horribly expensive compared to the piezo type. Much more accurate though. I've actually got half a dozen I was given a while ago as samples, but they're something like £250 each in small quantities which is a bit much for this current project. They're also considerably larger and heavier.

The drift rate on the murata ones is higher than is ideal but usable, and can be compensated for to a degree by cross-correlating with the accelerometers, gps, and horizon detecting autolevel system I'm using.

I just managed to get WAAS (EGNOS in europe) working on the little GPS modules my system uses, and the DOP is as low as 1.2m, evenfor altitude, which almost makes the barometric sensor redundant.

What I'd like to do is find a source of elevation data for the UK at around 10m resolution so I could upload a local height map into the autopilot before a flight, allowing it to avoid the ground without some form of active sensing, but all the high res data I can find is much too pricey. I'm just wondering whether the height data in the Microsoft flight sim UK terrain map addon is both accurate enough and extractable enough for this purpose.

pca