If they're serious about a February 15th launch they would have to be running production prototypes through EMC long before now, so why an empty case?

Not to rain on your parade, but...

Whether or not they hit that particular date isn't really important. If it works as advertised (whenever they release it), it's something to keep a close eye on.

Now, I've only glanced at their page so I don't know any product details. And already I see several reasons why the Empeg is a superior product. Still, they've definitely made some careful choices about how their product will differ from the Empeg. And some of those choices will look very attractive to the consumer.

For example, as you already cited, it's obvious that the software and the user interface of the Empeg will fly circles around the Neo. But the problem is that the consumer doesn't get to experience this aspect of the product until after the purchase.

Of course, I've got reservations about the mechanical longevity of their hard disk and CD mechanisms (having both in the case means little room for vibration damping- is there any?). But again, this only becomes an issue in the long term-- at initial purchase time, the consumer only sees a feature set and doesn't consider things like shock mounts.

And the shape of the unit looks a little odd to me. Does it fit into a DIN space?

Fortunately, you've got that great display and Toby's visuals as a way to set the software apart. And issues with installation and durability will sort themselves out with product reviews and such.

Empeg has pioneered a whole new field of personal electronics. Now others are starting to stake their claims in this new frontier. This is going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next few years.