Hey Guys

Just my two cents...and the following applies to Canada only...

First of all, there should have been no taxes assessed on Brad's player if the player was being shipped to Canada for repair only. Taxes usually only apply on a item purchased outside of your home country and then imported. Taxes may be assessed on a repair service as well if the cost of the service was a high amount. In any case taxes are assessed on the value of the item / service only. The best way to deal with this kind of situation is to clearly mark the shipment as a repair return containing used items destined to be returned to the original owner...

If the item is undervalued and it is deemed purposely so, then an assessment of the current fair market value of the item is made and taxes paid on that amount. An additional monetary penalty may also be applied if the case is deemed serious enough.

Duty in this case would not apply because the player was manufactured in a MFN (most favoured nation) tarriff country and imported into the US. The duty was paid when the player was originally imported in the US. There is no duty on computer equipment crossing between Canada/US due to NAFTA.

Brad, you can appeal/contest the tax assessed on the shipment if you're interested, do you still have the customs documents?...let me know and I'll send you the paperwork you would need to proceed with an appeal....