Quote:
Boot-up time.

Poke around in /Library/StartupItems and /System/Library/StartupItems and remove/disable anything you don't have to have. Odds are you'll render the system unbootable accidentally at some point so be prepared to boot of something else to fix it. You may be better off just putting it to sleep rather than doing full bootups/shutdowns. A Mini has the guts of a laptop, it can't draw that much power sleeping.

Quote:
there is no 'good' GPS navigation software for the mac

Someone may have mentioned it here already, but some guy on slashdot was doing in car routing using google maps and a cellphone for internet access. You can feed longitude/latitude into google maps pretty easily to get it to scroll to your location. I'm not sure how or if he was doing turn notifications. Its not an ideal solution, but it may work for you. Using their satellite imagery in car would also me pretty cool.

Quote:
Linux

Does anybody make good mapping software for linux? It seems like the lack of good free mapping data would limit the linux market for this type of software.

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something (and I probably am) it seems that things just aren't 'mature' enough to accomplish my list of requirements.

Yeah, they may not be. I've been considering a similar project since I've got a new car on the way. At the moment I'm leaning towards just buying a Pioneer Avic N2 and continuing to use my empeg for mp3s rather than trying to piece something together.

-Mike