I just took delivery on a brand new Nissan Xterra SE, and I'm now needing to do a new install. The deal with my Nissan is that I have a double DIN unit with a CD changer that takes up both slots. I want to remove the entire factory head unit and replace it with a new head unit and then hook my empeg up as an aux unit in the second slot. I'll use the primary head unit as the tuner and single disc CD player (no changer), I'll use the empeg as an aux unit as my "real" music source heh.

One of the things that I want to make sure of is that whatever head unit I go with is compatible, of course. However, I also have controls mounted on the steering wheel for the factory head unit (volume, mode, etc). I am hoping I can find a head unit that will be compatible with those controls, I'd hate to have just 4 dead buttons on my steering wheel.

Anyone know if it's possible? Are these controls wired or wireless? Is it possible to get a new head unit that will be compatible with these, and am I completely out to lunch with what I want to do?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-- Gary F.
Eeyore, Original Owner -- Mk II 80 Gb, Blue S/N #090000803 Tigger, 2nd Owner -- Mk IIa, 80 Gb, Blue S/N #40103789