Quote:
My Mini had a totally propritary system so I had to replace the amp, wiring, and speakers.

Yeah, that's precisely what I'm trying to avoid. My factory system sounds great, it just doesn't have an empeg. To replace it with a system of comparable sound is probably $1500-$2000 that I'd rather not spend if I can find a way to hack it.

Quote:
The wiring was weird also because they had a 3 way speaker setup in the front doors with the crossover built into the amp and the rears were dual voice coil 6X9s.

Yeah, I have crossovers in my amp too. Mid-bass drivers in the door, tweeters in the dash.

Quote:
The Mini setup was branded as Harmon Kardon so i'm sure it is totally different from yours but the result will probably be the same. (rip it all out)

Yeah, but why is that necessarily the only way? It's all electronics. How complex could what they're doing be?

Quote:
Do they have any climate controls or other extras incorporated into the head unit that would prevent you from being able to remove it ?

I don't think so, but my main issue is not wanting to replace a perfectly good factory setup with something aftermarket. I see a lot of money being spent just to get equivalent sound. That's not a good use of my money. I'd much rather spend time/money finding a way to integrate, but wouldn't know how to go about figuring it all out.