Okay, so I installed a new HDD, it went with relative ease. However, on the copying over the faux id3 tag info, there was some error. Since the mp3s were all properly tagged, I figured there was no problem. Actually, the fact that there was an error in the process might not even be relevant to this problem, but I just want to cover all the bases.

When I'm using the player, there will be random segfault errors. The song will stutter, the error occurs, followed quickly by a segkill error. If I wait a few seconds, the tracks continue to play. If I remove the unit and put it back in, the positioning is lost and it will play a different track from the same album or the song will be at a different progress.

I should also note that there's no problems with the songs, I've listened through some songs and they had no issues whatsoever only to have the unit segkill on other playbacks. I opened up the unit and checked the cabling, everything seems fine.

What is the problem here? I searched FAQ and BBS and nobody seemed to have this as a recurring problem.
// Mark II empeg 10GB Blue #2537