Quote:
Ditto. But as has been the experience of others on this board [sorry!], make sure to check their compatability documentation before ordering. Your motherboard may not be able to physically hold those circular heatsinks.

It seems in particular that most Zalman heat sinks require the threaded inserts around the socket to mount them. Their only real claim to fame is that they are almost silent. They do this by running huge fans very slowly on huge heat sinks. On my mb, the heat sinks were too big.

I ended up running the Cooler Master Aero fans (they are designed for full flow at 1800 rpm, most other fans are 3600 rpm. Blade fans lose eff at lower speeds, something like 50% flow at 80% speed.) mounted on the original heat sinks. I've attached a picture of it. It worked pretty well, but didn't move air like the original, extremely noisy fans. My cpu would exceed 65 degrees c if the room got to 30 degrees c. In a cooler room, you should have no problems.

My room gets that hot sometimes in the summer, so I ended up using a water cooling system. It cools both the Athlon cpus, the VGA card, and the hard drive. The CPUs are running 15 degrees cooler and now my only fan on the 'puter is in the Zalman silent power supply. The radiator comes with two 120mm fans that almost never run over first speed (ten speeds). The whole thing is very silent now.

Attachments
263587-CoolerMasterAERO4LITESilentRadial.jpg (241 downloads)