Bitt,

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. I have 5 ruptured discs in my back. One of them has been removed (L4-L5) in a lapendectomy procedure in 1991. I'm pretty familiar with this situation.

My understanding is that it is extremely unlikely that the cyatic pain will go away from any kind of physical therapy. It certainly didn't in my case. The pain comes from hydrostatic pressure of the jelly-like substance inside the ruptured disc leaking out and pushing against the nerve where it leaves the spial cord and goes to the leg. This pain can become quite severe and debilitating. In many cases, mine included, it gets worse and worse over time.

The disc will not heal itself.

I was in my last term of college when this happened to me, and I wanted to finish school, so I put off the surgery. The pain became more and more severe over a period of 5 or 6 weeks, and I experienced occasional partial paralysis. The paralysis and loss of bladder control scared me, to say the least. I had to accept that I couldn't finish the term and I needed surgery immediately.

I wish I hadn't waited because I have some permanent nerve damage from waiting. I can walk, etc. but the reflexes in my right leg are significantly slowed.

Here are some thoughts:

Both orthopedic and nerosurgeons perform the disc removal procedure. I have an extremely strong opinion that you should have the surgery performed by a nerosurgeon. You want to find one that specializes in disc injuries. I found one of the founders of the procedure (now retired) at the University of Minnesota and had mine done by him.

My first words upon waking from the anesthetic were "my leg doesn't hurt any more". It was *instant* and total relief from the cyatic pain. I was bed-ridden for about a week after the surgery, because you really can't move at all without involving your lower back.

There is a prosthetic disc that exists now that didn't when I had mine done. You should investigate this and see if you are a candidate for it.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions about the experience. I certainly don't know the technical details, but I can share my own experience with the condition.

Best,

Jim