This is excellent to know. The car was overheating about 8 months ago. I replaced the radiator cap with a Subaru OEM one and replaced the thermostat myself at that point. When the overheating was still happening, I noticed a bit of white smoke coming from the passenger-side cylinder bank. I have a friend that runs a shop that services a lot of Subarus including his own SVX and Baja. I had him do the head gaskets, water pump, other miscellanea, and fashion me a custom exhaust. The car worked great for about 2 months after that until one day, the coolant temp went from normal to red within 2 seconds and the top radiator hose came off. The clamp was brand new and looked fine, so I reattached it on the side of the road and about a 1/2-mile down the road the coolant temp surged again popping off the hose. I had the car towed home and has been sitting in my driveway ever since.

My friend offered to correct the issue for nothing. The only problem is that his shop is about 3 hours away on the border of CT and RI. I was thinking of towing the car up there this weekend with a Uhaul. The cost for the truck and trailer would come out to over $300 one-way. Maybe I should ask the Subaru dealer tomorrow if they can do a service on the cooling system first. They're right down the road and I think the car would make it that far. What do you think?

The problem is I think that dealer is a total bunch of scum bags after dealing with them twice with my Saab under warranty. There is a Subbie dealer I like and trust, but the car would have to be towed there. Also, I only have 1 tow left this year until AAA tell me to get lost. I would like to keep it for an occasion when I really need it because with my luck, something else will be getting towed soon.