The fascia surround was fabricated, but it was pretty easy. You can get away with not fabricating anything but the head unit would sit further back into the dash - with hindsight I think that might have been a good thing as it would have reduced glare on the screen. I may move it back by 5 or 10mm.

This install does replace the stock system. It's not hard - the factory head unit is DIN behind its oversized front panel (as is the case with most factory units now). I'm told it was quite tight running cables front to rear.

The XK8 was Jaguar's first new model under Ford ownership. It was designed entirely by Jaguar but unquestionably benefits from Ford QA and manufacturing processes. It is one of the most reliable Jags ever made, despite a bit of an issue with Nikasil linings and timing chain tensioners on early models. The build quality is excellent. Contrary to popular rumour, the V8 engine was designed by Jaguar from scratch and is not a Ford unit (although Ford now use it in some of their models).

I'm visiting the XK production line in May which should be interesting!

Rob