Quote:
I would be surprised if there is another release - and if there is, it will be thanks to an individual digging out the code and putting in their own time to work on it.

Unfortunately it's not even as simple as that. Some components of a car-player build, notably the MP3 decoder, were licensed to Rio in such a way that the licences didn't pass to Sigmatel when the development team was purchased, last July. That's why we hurried 3.0 alpha 11 out in the few days between finding out about Sigmatel, and the purchase going through: once we became Sigmatel, we had to delete those components, and the car v3 branch no longer built.

I too would be surprised if there were any more car-player releases. Really, alphas 10 and 11 should have been called betas 1 and 2, as those releases were made from the v3-only branch; all the earlier alphas contained random new Karma, Sapphire, and Kyanite features from the trunk, so their stability was all over the shop. Alphas 10 and 11 contained only bugfixes over alpha 8, the branching point. (Alpha 9 was a bit of a disaster IIRC.) There's a bit more on that subject here -- outcome #2 came to pass.

Personally, I've used 3.0alpha11 Receiver Edition day in, day out since it was released -- or rather, since an hour or so before it was released -- and it only falls over very occasionally. If you've got a player which didn't sigkill very much when it first got alpha 11, but does sigkill a lot now, maybe your hardware's getting flaky...

Peter