Quote:

At the risk of sounding like a snob, I've never been in a Holiday Inn that I could describe as being close to 4-star accommodations.

This one was the Forte Posthouse until a few months ago. It's 3 star, not 4, but has a brilliant pool and fitness centre, nice outdoorsy areas, large bar, reasonable food and decent service (as far as I can tell). The SONICblue execs used to stay there and they certainly didn't sacrifice their comfort.

I've personally visited all of the hotels we considered for the meet and I have fairly high standards when it comes to accommodation. I had the manager show me examples of the standard and executive rooms and of most of the facilities, and on the basis of that I've decided to lodge our company visitors there in future (in preference to the more expensive Crowne Plaza that we use currently).

The main disadvantage is being on the edge of town, approx 4 miles from the centre (hence renting a minibus for the duration of the meet).

Quote:

The Holiday Inn Express in Coldhams Business Park (Cambridge) was nice when I stayed there, but it was very "Ikea-like."

*shudder* Please don't get the idea that the hotel we've chosen has any similarity whatsoever to that place!

Of course as none of the organised events are taking place at the hotel nobody should consider themselves under any obligation to stay there. I can recommend both lower and higher end hotels if anyone wants - just email me. However both Rob S and I believe that it will be beneficial to the general atmosphere of the event if most people are staying at the same place.

Rob