Okay. With the info thus far, I'd guess at either bad RAM (unlikely), or corrupted files on the hard disk (very likely).

The things to do next, in order (stop if one of them works):

(1) Re-install the car2-developer-v2.01-final.upgrade software package. Yes, you may have already done this. Do it again.

If that doesn't cure the problem, then you may have a bad track that is confusing the player. This is unlikely, but easier to fix than the alternatives.

(2) Hit Control^C, and type these commands at the prompts:

rw
rm /empeg/var/database*
rm /empeg/var/playlists
rm /empeg/var/tags
player -i

..Big pause here while player rebuilds databases from scratch.
..Once it finishes, hit Control^C to get a command prompt again,
so that the disk can be remarked as read-only.

ro
exit

Even if the player -i step fails, be 100% sure to issue the final ro command before powering off or rebooting.

(3) Install the Hijack kernel, and then surf to Vital Signs on the Hijack menu to see which track the player is trying to play (look for the FID info).

Then delete the file of the same name from /drive0/fids/

(4) If nothing above worked, then a full reinit of the hard drive is the next option. This means all music on the drive is lost and will have to be re-uploaded, and playlists re-created. You really don't want to do this, but at this point there's little else to try. This means installing the dreaded builder image. But before doing destroying the music collection, try and find a different notebook hard disk to use for this step. Remove the original drive, and install the new one, and then run the builder on *that* drive. Once it finishes, reinstall v2.01 software, and then reinstall Hijack.

(5) If the last step worked, then you'll need to repeat it on your original drive, and then reinstall all music and playlists. Ugh.

Edited by mlord (06/07/2006 08:32)