Quote:
Like I said the new fluorescents are quite good, the 11w GU10 lamp would probably be ideal for you.

As good as the Compact Flourescent GU10 lamps are, they are not always the solution. One issue with them is that they are deeper than a standard Halogen bulb, which means they are not always compatible with your light fitting. If your light fitting has a lampholder that is fixed in place, or you have limited depth, they are not really going to fit in there. If you have a lampholder floating on a lead it is more likely to work.

The depth issue is generally worse with the 11W version. Aurora have a new (not in the 2006 catalogue) 7W GU10 lamp called the AU-GUF/64 MINI (it is quite scary how I know that) which is the same depth as a standard Halogen bulb. Its very nice but 7W is only just equivalent to 20W Halogen. I would guess that 11W is roughly similar output as a 35W Halogen, so you would notice a drop in brightness if you are used to 50W lamps, and a big drop if you have lots of them.

One trick that manufacturers are doing is putting a prismatic diffuser on the end of the bulb. It makes it look lovely and bright up there when it is on, but the actual light output is still significantly lower than Halogens.