My friend Ian and I flew to San Francisco to install two empegs in one weekend. Needless to say, the weekend was non-stop work and the 117ºF weather wasn't helping. The first vehicle was a 2004 Fleetwood Storm. That went pretty well, but I don't think we had time to take photos of that.

The second vehicle was a 2000 BMW 528i. This was a total pain in the ass. BMW people seem content with the stock stereo, and even those that want something better usually get talked out of it or just add a sub via speaker-level inputs. Due to this, there was a very small amount of info to go on. Armed with only a cryptic description of the wires on the stock amp harness, it took us about 20 hours straight to get to the point you see below. Sadly, this was not the end.

As we approached the entrance to Oakland airport to catch a flight back to NY, the Infinity Basslink II decided to die. I hopped a flight back to SF to swap Basslinks last week and everything has been peachy since.

Moral of the story: Scheduling two installs in one weekend while 3000 miles from your house is a bad idea.

The Bimmer

empeg installed

A closer look

Using an Infinity Basslink II with optional 4sc 4-channel amp module. This makes for a pretty compact amp and sub combo.

Rats nest of wires required for the install. The black box toward the top of this image is the factory amp that was disconnected. Instead of cutting the BMW amp connector, we tapped-in to the factory speaker wiring back here. This was so we could return the car to stock if it were sold. I'm not sure if it's worth it to return to stock at this point. We will probably just stick in a cheap aftermarket head unit when the car is sold.

Bigger pics available here.