If my 62yr old dad can use MythTV happily, I'm sure no-one else is going to have an issue. From what I have seen of Windows MCE, that is pretty cool and easy to use too.

I was expecting some hard work installing MythTV, read quite a few walkthroughs first and set aside quite a long time to get it working. Literally after half an hour of installing my TV tuner cards I was watching 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' on my laptop over WiFi. It took a little while to get all the finer points working but again it wasn't hard at all. For a HTPC, there are plenty of distros that come with Myth 'ready to go'. After the standard OS installation, MythTV and its databases are already there and all you have to do is point and click to make everything work.

My server is a headless AMD Sempron machine with two Terratec Cinergy 1400 DVB-T cards, a gig of RAM and lots of disks. It was configured over a remote X session, and we watch TV/recordings using the Xbox, my Macbook or my sisters iBook. I tried to run WinMyth on my Windows desktop and had no joy at all.