Quote:

Is that really any different to how the fonts work on the empeg ?

No, so that's not even an excuse.

Quote:

I never did manage to get the layout perfect with this UI using Truetype for example and it was a nightmare getting it this far

That looks impressive. But StreetDeck only needs standard characters using standard spacing, I guess. They use the PNG fonts o do 3D effects mostly.

But they have announced they're working on a Unicode engine, so there must be some compromise possible.

Quote:

These guys obviously don't have a clue about Unicode though, it is so easy to get it right nowadays and I'm sure if they had included support the community would have filled in the gap with the bitmap fonts needed.

The reason StreetDeck can't handle Unicode has to do with Windows Media Player. They use .wpl files for playlists. .wpl files are wierd; they are encoded using windows-1252 as long as no item contains Unicode. But once you add a single item with a Unicode filename, the .wpl file will be utf-8 encoded. But there's no Unicode BOM or charset= header that tells what encoding is used. It's up to the application to guess its encoding.

I found that creating utf-8 encoded .wpl file by hand will circumvent the problem of StreetDeck crashing. It will even play tunes with Unicode names as long as there are no Unicode tags used.

Pim