Quote:
Quote:
Laserfan has listed filenames, whereas the track titles (i.e. in the ID3 tags) probably don't include the "04 - " or the ".mp3".

That is correct of course. Just so I'm clear though--it is indeed the "04 - " in the filename that allows the Central to serve songs in the correct order?

No; if your files have correct track-number tags, Central will serve them in the correct order, irrespective of filename.

Quote:
No other trick to it i.e. something in the tags (I don't see anything there)?

The only "trick" is having correct track numbers listed in the ID3 tags.

Quote:
Central: sorts/serves by filename
Windows Audio Receiver manager software: sorts/serves by song title

Both Central and Audio Receiver Manager sort by doing queries against the database of track metadata (tag data). The difference comes because they use different database queries: Central's includes (effectively) "SORT BY tracknr", whereas ARMgr's includes (effectively) "SORT BY title".

ARMgr creates its database by using ID3 tag data directly; Central creates its database from the tag data given it by Emplode, but Emplode has got that data in the first place by reading the ID3 tags, using the same algorithm (indeed, the same code) as ARMgr itself.

To run this absolutely into the ground:
  • If the tracks have both title and track-number filled-in in the tags, Central will serve them in the right order and ARMgr will serve them in the wrong order, whatever their filenames are.
  • If the tracks have the title filled-in, but not the track number, Central will serve them in the order they were added (which is probably alphabetical order of filenames), and ARMgr will serve them in the wrong order.
  • If the tracks have the track-number filled in, but not the title, Central will serve them in the right order, and ARMgr will serve them in alphabetical order of filenames.
  • If the tracks don't have either title or track-number filled-in, both Central and ARMgr will serve them in alphabetical order of filenames.
  • If, according to the above criteria, your server will serve in alphabetical order of filenames, and these filenames contain the track-number ("04 - Track.mp3"), then that means that your server will serve them in the right order. But the track names will look wrong on the Receiver's display, because they'll have those extraneous digits in (and you can't use non-filename-safe characters).

Peter