Thanks guys for the words of support! This is such a huge thing for me. It might seem that just one finger is not such a big deal but this really had a huge impact on my life. I don’t think it is generally understood that the long finger is your most valuable finger. It is the power finger. It’s the one you grip with. Also the loss of the use of this finger tanked guitar playing which was a major bummer for me.

I was out cold during the operation. It took almost three hours. They had to go in, split the tendons to get down to the bone, remove the screws and plate, cut the damaged section out of the bone, realign the bone, remove all of the scar tissue that had formed, install a new plate and screws, reassemble the tendons and sew it all up.

The finger is now about 6mm shorter than it was before. The process I am going through is quite different than what I was doing before. Only three days after surgery I was out of the cast and required to start physical therapy. The plate and screws are such that they provide all the stability that is required. Immediately exercising the finger is paramount to maintaining flexibility. This eliminates scar tissue from forming on the tendons and joint and inhibiting motion. What is also amazing is that there is no pain. I stopped taking the pain meds on Saturday and have been pain free ever since. Your fingers are really quite amazing. I have grown a new appreciation for their elegance in form, function, and complexity.

I don’t remember where Morton’s gets its meat beyond some place in the mid-west, central US. The beef is the absolute best. They roll out a cart with samples of there fare and you choose what cut you want. Everything is ala Carte so be prepared.