This might be very esoteric, perhaps even beyond the reach of the empeg braintrust. But I'll give it a shot.

I'm trying to repro a bug. The details of the bug are not important, that's not what I need the help with.

The bug only happens on certain laptops with a very rare combination of hardware details. One of those details is that the laptop must be using a PCI-express bus instead of a regular PCI bus, and that its built-in wireless card must be on that bus.

We keep borrowing laptops from different labs which are supposed to have this feature, but the Windows Device Manager (under System Devices) sometimes shows a PCI-e bus very clearly, and sometimes, it looks like it's just ordinary PCI. When it does show it clearly, it often has a specific chipset name attached to it, such as "Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port".

I'm currently having a discussion with a supplier guy from HP claiming that all his laptops are PCI-e, but the one he gave me looks like regular PCI. For instance, the device manager says "Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge", and it has a regular PCMCIA slot instead of the newer kind. He says I'm wrong, and that the machine is definitely PCI-e, and that the kind of card slot it's got is irrelevant, and what the Device Manager is telling me is irrelevant. I can see no way of proving him definitively right or wrong.

Anyone know how to determine this for sure?