Grr... Having to retype this because I took too long to edit.. I apologize in advance if my re-type seems a bit rushed.

I'm looking for a device that I think the empegBBS has the perfect combination of knowledge to help me find. You guys are good at knowing the cutting edge gear out there and knowing the good tricks to get older devices to do things they weren't intended to do..

Basically, I'm looking for something to browse the internet with while I'm around the house or outside in the yard. That's basically it. A laptop would be too big and wouldn't have enough battery life. Also, I don't want another PC to be running Windows Updates and virus software on. My needs are pretty basic:

1) Has to be readable. That means no small screens.
2) Has to have WiFi as a feature or option. 802.11g is preferred because of range, but 802.11b would be fast enough obviously.
3) Not more expensive that it has to be. Extra features would be "nice" but I don't want to drive the price up.

Because my "requirements" are small, my options are a bit overwhelming! mp3 player with browser? PDA w. WiFi? Smartphone? etc. Here are a few I'm looking at. I'm not attached to any of them. so feel free to offer up more solutions.

* Sony PSP 2001 $169 - New version just came out.
Pro: Can play games if I ever need to. Nice sized screen. Can be used as a media player. Cheapest optoin I've found other than Nokia N770. Battery life.
Con: Doubt I'll ever buy a game. Screen isn't very hi-res. 480x240 ish? No storage. UI would be a pain to enter text with.

* Apple iPod Touch 8GB $299
Pro: Accessories will be easy to get. Nice display contrast/resolution. Touch screen.
Con: Pricey for what I'm getting. Screen is nice but small.

* Archos 604 30GB $239
Pro: Nice 4.3" display. 30GB. Can be used as a media player.
Con: Still a bit small but getting close. Resolution isn't great. Would be doing a LOT of scrolling to read web.

* Archos 704 80GB $350 Would really like this one if cheaper..
Pro: See above. Mega 7" display! Hi resolution! Just perfect! 80gb.
Con: Expensive. If they had a 40gb version or 20gb version, that'd help.

* Archos 605 4GB $200
Pro: Price is better! 4.3" display now does 800x480! Touch screen. Does Flash now too.
Con: Not touch screen. 4GB isn't small, but you get used to higher capacities after reading other reviews!

* HTC Advantage 7501 $860
Pro: GPS, mega 7" display. Uses SIM card so I can browse away from home w. Cingular/ATT.
Con: Price. At this point you can almost get a UMPC.

* PDA w. Wifi or Smartphone. Cost varies.
Pro: Can do other stuff I suppose.
Con: A bit overwhelmed w. options. Tend to get pricey w. good displays. Even good displays are unnecessarily compact for what I need.

* Nokia N800 Internet Tablet $360
Pro: 800x480 on a 4.1" screen. Wireless g. Didn't even know "internet tablet" was a class of device!
Con: Price. A bit more compact than I need. Flash "works" but not well.

* Nokia N770 Internet Tablet ~$130 on eBay
Pro: 800x480 on a 4.1" screen. Wireless g. Now stands as the least expensive option.
Con: Again, is 800x480 on a 4.1" screen usable? Flash "works" but not well (not a deal breaker).

Is there anything else you guys can think of? Have any of you actually used any to browse the web? Any tips/advice are welcome!

thx

EDITED THE LIST A BIT

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (23/09/2007 12:05)