Quote:
The company is going to launch with one million DRM-free MP3 tracks. But these aren't just MP3 songs, they're "pure MP3s," devoid of any watermarking or tracking technology. Reindorp tells me that the company "absolutely refused" to go in that direction, or settle on non-standard audio technology. So the Zune's DRM-free tracks will be pure MP3. Halleluiah.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/zune2_preview.asp

Overall, the new Zunes get a yawn from me but they look nice in the pictures and are filling in some gaps missing from Apple's offerings. WiFi syncing is a welcome feature and I like that MS seems to be focusing on providing information and community features to help people find new music. I've always felt Apple has missed on a big opportunity to sell me more music. They potentially have access to my iTunes database with all of this information about my music tastes and listening habits but don't take advantage of it. The iTunes store is butt simple if you know what you want but terrible at helping you find new music. Now it remains to be seen if MS actually does a good job with this.