Quote:
I state this without fear of contradiction: If television is even a little bit important to them then TiVo will change their life!

I don't want to stray too far into Melancholia-ville, but this case of trying to remotely care (somewhat) for 89 and 90-year-old parents 2600 miles away is an interesting study, I think.

I am not sure, at this point, that anything is going to change their life, and recent ups and downs in medical conditions tells me that the window for life changes is getting smaller every day. We had a bash for their 60th anniversary. My sibs and I are not thinking there will be a 70th.

Is TV even a bit important? Left to their own devices, they might just throw their frustrating remote in the trash and take a nap. But we know that their interest can *still* be picqued by the World Series or a BC game on a brisk Fall Saturday. Now, since it seems like the Magic Television doesn't exist, I may start looking for the Magic Radio. For my dad this might be just as good. Remote controls can be a pain in the ass. How about a radio with a big, fat tuning knob? That might be the ticket.

Mark, it might seem bizarre to pay somebody to knock on their door and tune their TV 5 or 6 times a week, but the more I think about it, the more I think it might have to recommend it. A social call from one of the nice aides at this assisted-living facility.

It's ironic. I want to solve the problem with technology but I don't want to solve the problem with technology.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.