Well I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a rio car. However, I remembered reading this thread and figured that I would check to see if the price at a retail location was any lower than the painful $1,299.95 from Sonicblue. However, even one month after this deal was first announced, employees from two different cartoys had no clue what I was talking about. Both claimed to know exactly what I wanted, then described a different rio product. When I described an empeg to one one of them, he asked why I would want to spend $1,300 when you could just use another rio plugged into a tape adapter or microphone input. Sheez.
        Does anybody know (or have any thoughts on) if retail stores like cartoys are going to discount their players from sonicblue's price or you think they'll charge the same amount. I'm probably going to just use the sonicblue site in a day or two, but I'm suprised that the cartoys people don't know about this yet. From what I've seen lurking on these boards for a year or so, it seems like everything related to the empeg is a perpetual wait. Why can't anybody get anything done around here?

[ johnmcd3 - buying an empeg any day now ]