I recently switched from Sprint to ATT, and in the process got a new phone: a Sony Ericsson W580i (I have the black version). I LOVE IT. And recently I read about the process of "unbranding," which basically replaces the crippled and annoying ATT firmware with the original Sony Ericsson one.

Among many things, this gave me access to the phone's internal file system, which means I can load whatever ringtones I want. This is where I'm running into problems. The phone can support a few formats for ringtones: MIDI, MP3, and M4A. I can't seem to get my MP3 ringtones to sound quite right on the phone. At least, not like the built-in ones. Naturally, I expected this, but I thought I might get close. Other MP3 sound files sound pretty good from the speaker, but not the ones I put on.

So far, I've been importing some of my audio tracks into Audacity and cropping them down to little segments. After a while I found this guide for making the file sound better coming out of the average cell phone speaker.

I was wondering if you guys had any pointers of your own. I've tried those tips and it sounds better, but still not the greatest, or as good as I think it can get. The phone has a decent speaker, so I should be able to get pretty good results, but I'm not having much luck so far.

Edited by Dignan (18/12/2007 06:14)