Hello, do computer power supplies always draw as much wattage as they are rated for? ie: does a 750 watt power supply draw 750 watt while sitting idle in Windows?

I am building a new computer with a 750 watt power supply, but I don't want to waste a ton of electricity (and hurt my elect bills) over its life span. I'm oversizing the psu because my current machine suffered greatly from a weak 350 watt psu (hdd randomly powering off, random power cycling).

Or does wattage even matter toward running up my elect bills? Should I be concerned with amperage and voltage? Oh wait, if amperage is "the size of the pipe" and voltage is constant, will I even be able to get enough wattage to power the machine?

You may ask why I chose 750 watt. The machine has an SLI motherboard anticipating two gpus in the future. For now it has an nVidia 8800 GT 512, which is pretty power hungry. Also it has a 68 watt low power Athlon 5200+, two (IDE) to three hard drives, and a DVDR (SATA). I don't ever EVER want my hard drives to randomly spin down then back up while using the computer, which happened frighteningly often with my current crappy 350 watt psu.