Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Well, there are broken things that are bugs and then things that are broken by design.

By design you have things like the atrocious menu bar, dock, stacks' overlapped icons in the dock, dock's inability to show folder contents as a list, super-fugly folder icons, no way to set file ownership from GUI anymore, the nice rounded corners on the menu bar are gone, the blue apple top left is now black, help viewer is now some bastard always-on-top non-standard window that can't be closed from the keyboard, throbbers in Mail spin way too fast, Time Machine asks if it can use every single external volume you connect and there's no way to disable this pain in the ass prompting from the GUI even if Time Machine is OFF, etc...

The "broken by design" stuff usually comes down to personal opinion. Yes, a lot in the GUI look changed and lots of it I do wonder why. I however also remember GUI elements changing in every previous 10.x release, so it wasn't really unexpected. I do appreciate the more unified approach to the actual windows now, since I stare at those more then I stare at the rounded corners of the menu bar. The dock, mine is on the side and it reverts to 2d there anyhow, so it hasn't annoyed me much. As for setting ownership on a file in the GUI, I had no problem doing it via the get info window as in previous releases. I don't have a Tiger install to compare exactly how it used to work, but I have a plus to add a user or group, and can set permissions for them, along with removing users or groups. It's exposing more of the ACL style and less of the pure user-group-world permission set.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Things that are broken with bugs include, lots of crashes in Mail even when it's just sitting there doing nothing, lots of crashes in Safari without hitting bad pages, crashes when hitting bad pages, safari gets frozen/bogged often while working on one page that it affects all windows and/or tabs,

I'm running Mail on 2 of the 3 machines use, both connected to IMAP servers with tons of thousands of e-mails, and at work tons of smart folders too. I'm even using some plugins at work, and I haven't had a single Mail crash. I can remember one hang at home, but nothing like crashes just from sitting there. I have seen Safari act up a little, but it's not been enough to get me over to Camino or another OS X browser (Firefox 2 is out due to the fonts). Your other comments I can't comment on based on personal experience as I haven't seen issues like those. Definitely not having a process crash every 10 minutes and such.

I know people are having issues with 10.5, but people also had issues with 10.4, and 10.3, and 10.2, and 10.1, and most definitely 10.0. But I have to question the "most broken OS" part. I definitely haven't had the feeling of wanting to run back to Tiger like Vista did for me in regards to upgrading to XP.

Interestingly, Leopard did make the transition to a full Universal OS. I restored a Time Machine backup from an Intel Mac Mini to a PowerPC Mac Mini with no problem. Everything was just the way it was, except for a few Intel only 3rd party apps showing up as not runnable in the Applications folder. That impressed me quite a bit, especially when Microsoft is still struggling even with a simple 32 to 64 bit transition for years now.