I am planning on putting samba to run on Empeg among with a local ftpd type server plus the good old patched SSH1 for shell connections so that I can

a) access Empeg from any nearby laptop with a wavelan card, straight through normal windows networking (w2k / w9x) and for example have winamp play straight from a samba Empeg mounted disk.

b) FTP is just another great service I may wish to have around, though it has its well-known flaws in fex. security. This would be one of the optimal file-transfer method from our local unix-boxes.

c) get logged on to the Empeg through a shell (love bash) and compile the kernel or mess around with the linux itself from afar with SSH, preferrably version 1 with the last security patches.

I'm not so familiar with this wavelan system yet as I have not had a chance to mess with one.. but I trust it is not much different than working the normal Network Interface Cards PCMCIA or PCI.

What I'm worried of is whether the wavelan range is good enough, we have a huge parking hall just under our apartments, I live on the 3rd floor and my car is parked physically straight under my apartment in the 0 floor..but there's some walls/floors between - the distance is not that great though.

Another point is how can I configure Empeg and the Ethernet wavelan device to be active (ie. powered) fex. during certain times so that my car battery won't get ruined..or is there no such possibility if the car is used daily? (the power consumption issue)

Amarth