Quote:
JB7 is about convenience and accessibility so we tend not to focus on compression types and bit rates – I design the low level software that deals with inverse cosine transforms, Huffman codes, psycho acoustic masking and all that kind of stuff but when I listen to music I don’t want to deal with all that – I just want my music easy to get to.

JB7 uses MP3 compression so it can fit more CDs on a hard disk – but MP3 is a lossy compression technique and must result in a loss of quality. For some people and/or for some music this is undesireable so JB7 provides the option to enable/disable MP3 compression on a CD by CD basis.

This is lossless storage of the original CD but it is not compressed so it is there is no lossless compression format like FLAC involved.

We do have a simple in-house high speed lossless compression algorithm that provides a modest level of lossless compression that can be performed on-the-fly as CDs are loaded. We decided against using it in this product because it wouldn't deliver any real benefit to the majority of our customers.

Err, right.