Originally Posted By: tman
Does the GPS in the iPhone even do full routing?

GPS just does positioning. Routing is all a matter of application software. As far as I know the new iPhone doesn't even come with a routing application. I don't have much doubt we'll see something from TomTom appear on it. But so too will apps from other vendors show up.

I used a Garmin Nuvi for 3 solid weeks in Portugal and for a week here in Canada before I left for vacation. It was anything but simple and bulletproof. If the execs at the GPS companies aren't worried about the iPhone then they've got their heads in the sand or elsewhere.

Ask the execs (or former) at Motorola or any number of other handset makers about their comments leading up to the iPhone's announcement in January 07. Better still, about the comments from early in 2006 and prior stating with complete certainty that there was no way Apple or anyone else was just going to jump into the mobile game.

When I picked up a current-gen iPhone I found a number of things wrong with it - or things I simply didn't like. I'm willing to bet it's going to be the same situation with the new one. But anyone can see how wildly popular it's been with limited roll-out, no official support for third party applications and a significant price-point barrier.

The only way you're not going to see an iPhone everywhere later this year is if you lock yourself in a room without any access to the outside world or images of it.