I can give my take on this because I'm actually still a film user (Medium Format still beats digital..)

Originally Posted By: FireFox31

Cleaning:
Is there a recommended way to remove fingerprints from negatives/slides?

Never tried it myself but you could try these.

Quote:

Any problem with using a brand new microfiber mitt to remove dust from the originals?

No as long as your are careful. Air (not canned the propellant can come out) probably works better though.

Quote:

Scanning:
I'm using an Epson Perfection V700 Photo, its film and slide trays, bundled software, 3200 dpi, 24 bit color, uncompressed TIFF. Its bundled software does a good job correcting color/exposure and automatically parsing negatives.

How can I deal with curled negatives, U shaped across their short edge. I'm worried about the scanner's fixed focus - that the height curl puts part of the image below it.

That can be a problem with Epson flatbeds. This company sells an ANR (Anti-Newton Ring) glass insert that works with the OEM 35mm holder. This would get rid of the curling problem and Netwon's rings at the same time.

Quote:

Is there a RAW format for scanners like in DSLR cameras? Or is TIFF flexible enough to let me play with colors/balance later?

Yes but the Epson software probably doesn't allow you to write it. Vuescan does however, if your not using Vuescan I suggest you spend the $50 to buy it. Very good software.

Quote:

The software has a dust/scratch deletion feature called ICE. Results are amazing and negatives really need it. Sometimes it overacts and sharpens edges all over the image. I use it sparingly. Any thoughts on image cleaning software?

ICE works by scanning the film in infrared, with color films anything that shows up as infrared is dust or fingerprints. This allows the software to detect these imperfections and correct them. After your done scanning the only way to clean the images is with a clone brush. So it's best to use ICE when you can. If you are scanning B&W film you will find using ICE doesn't work. In that case you are down to the clone brush again.

Quote:

Storing:
Is there a good way to store negatives and slides? I've seen the Print File 3 ring binder sleeves for negatives. But will their plastic bind to the negatives/slides, as mentioned in the CD storage thread?

Not if you get the archival kind.