Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Anyway, once you get ssh's X11 forwarding working (not really difficult), just log in remotely and all X clients will be sent back to your local display. No need to even get out of your chair.

I would still need to get out of my chair, because these machines are on a seperate network from my machine, but it's not really a big problem to walk up to those machines if I need to to something. And if I log out, it won't auto-login again, it will stay at the login prompt.

I tried xhost +, but I was root when I did it and I got the same error messages. There was something about failing to read listing pairs in '/apps/nautilus/preferences' when I tried to start Nautilus and a lot of:
(nautilus:28773): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

I think I tried to edit sudoers when I was home and I seem to remember that would break the system, but it could also have been that I tried removing the user from the admin group that broke the system.

I think I'll just enable root login and tell them to reboot the machine if they log out... smile

Stig