I was looking at feeding something through the Line In this weekend, and since the line in is only connected on the rear feature connector, this could only be done by mounting the unit in the sled (I still haven't fitted it to the car yet).

I then looked at the output - and woke up to the fact that (as Hugo has mentioned) there are 4 quasi-differential outputs from the sled, not the two simple, earth referenced stereo connectors popping out the back of the unit itself. Upon connecting only the two "front" output connectors to my amp, I got pretty horrible sound due, to the earthing/referencing used when the unit is inserted in the sled.

Hugo, could you explain (for a thickie):

1) How can I connect up to my simple stereo from the sled in order to get a good stereo image on playback
2) What do you mean by "Quasi differential" outputs?

I suspect this is due to my mis-understanding of the earthing reference used by the unit when inserted into the sled, as distinct from the earth-referenced output of the stand-alone unit. I would be interested if you could get a bit techincal here, as it would help!

Rob Schofield

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015