Originally Posted By: Shonky
Originally Posted By: crazyplums
if ya'll don't mind me asking, whats the supposed advantage of this cable then, and how how does it not short?

Are you intending to use what's in the photo per speaker (i.e. a + and -)? If so, I can't see how it can't short. I would assume that it's some sort of audiophile nonsense about having copper and whatever the silver material and that provides some sort of "best of worlds" bollocks.

From the photo there doesn't appear to be any sort of insulation and I'll be surprised if it worked previously with the two metal types split to provide the current path to and from the speaker.

The concept of oxygen free copper is that has basically the lowest resistance possible. In terms of speaker wiring it's unlikely to make noticeable difference and to some extent it's snake oil. But people believe just like they believe a $1000 power cord magically makes a home stereo sound better or a wooden volume control knob improves the sound.

hi Shonky,

one wire per speaker, seperate the colours and connect up!

i dunno how this stuff works, bought it via a pal who worked at a recording studio, apparently they used it on their monitor speakers.

it worked fine on my Rogers audio set-up, the speakers were also rogers studio monitor speakers rated i think 200w (8" bass, 4" mid + tweeter), absolutely crystal clear audio, i've never found anything as good since and regret selling it!

despite knowing it worked before, i'll run a meter over everything before i power up, just to be sure!

it looks very different to anything that maplins have on the shelf, when i bought this i'd never heard of oxygen free, now every audio shop i visited today had at least three choices of it!

thank for the info though.

Hugh

oh yeah, it doesn't solder, tried to solder it direct to the sub connections but it wouldn't have it!

Edited by crazyplums (09/08/2009 12:28)