I don't agree with the criticism in that review. If I'm going to be critical it's about the piece itself, since it's not a review at all. But it's from CNET and they're not known for being on-the-ball anyway.

Starting at the end, while iPeng and Squeemote are not written by Logitech, they are officially blessed and recommended by them. They're even included on their Squeezebox web page.

I think the mistake was made by Sonos to tell you the truth. Its latest remote is far to expensive for what it offers and it's the only display you can use with that system.

Forgetting about the Touch's "touch" ability, it's a great replacement for the Classic SB3. It's priced the same and can do everything the older unit could. Everything else is gravy, including its support for higher resolution audio and more native codec support (directly without on-the-fly transcoding from the server).

Sonos hasn't been able to break into the mainstream with their solution and IMO, Logitech has been eating their lunch for a long time. They can likely remain a niche player, but I'm confident Logitech is going to be able to break into the mainstream with their product line. They did it very successfully with the Harmony remote line, previously a fairly low volume and very niche segment, it's now handily the number one mid-range remote brand in the world.

I suspect we'll see an in-house iPhone app at some point as well as a future iteration of the controller device. The current model was already in the planning/design stages when Logitech acquired Slim.

Logitech can buy 8GB iPod touches at retail, configure them with their app, put them into new packaging, custom laser etch the back case, provide a leather wallet and a stand and resell them for less than the Sonos controller, while *still* making a decent profit. And it would be profit without having to amortize hardware design and tooling. This isn't a likely scenario, but a $10-20 controller application would be completely viable even if they didn't want to just give one away for free.

I'm glad to see the Touch at its announced price point and configured the way it is. For those that want visual control in their hand, they can use an iPod or the web interface on any number of devices for now. The Lua SqueezePlay interface later.

I think the Touch is going to get some traction in the custom installation category as well. Looks to be a decent product to flush wall mount. With something like the Sonos, which lacks a display, you never know any playback details until you find that remote. Which could very well be hiding under and cushion somewhere. PLus you really don't have the additional control flexibility as you do with the Touch - IR, Web, CLI...