Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
That's the number I got from the "contact us" page when I logged in to my account.

I have to assume this is legit, although I agree...it seems as if they should be able to find another way to verify your identity (ie...secret question).

BTW. The other reason that I'd be fairly sure this is coming from paypal is that they present the bank name and the last few numbers, indicating that they already know the account number. If a phisher has that info, there's not much else you could provide them that would help.

Yes, but all they present is the last four digits of the number... anybody who had somehow hacked into my PayPal account would have access to that information.

If this really is a genuine phishing expedition (unlikely) the perpetrator now has my full bank account number, my new password, and authentication questions and answers.

What is unsettling is that Snopes lists this as a PayPal scam dating back to 2003. The wording in the scam is practically identical to the wording on the web page I was redirected to.

What makes me pretty sure it was NOT phishing is that I can now log into PayPal with my NEW password. And I am pretty sure it IS the PayPal site I logged into because I can list my transactions.

tanstaafl.